Monday, April 2, 2007

Easter Sunrise Service






Last Easter Joe and I attended an Easter sunrise service with a non-denominational congregation. People from all walks of life together worshipping on a beach in Hawaii is something that I'll never forget. You heard it right, I said, Hawaii. And yes it was on my list!

The service began with a reenactment of Christianity coming to the the island. A canoe carrying three men, two of whom were dressed in Indian costume paddled up to the beach. The other man presented the Bible that he was carrying to the leader of the tribe. Then the service began.

The sermon pointed out how several of the people either participating or leading the service had been sinners. The man preaching and one of the men in the small music group had actually been in prison. The preacher went on to say how they had been saved and how God had changed their lives.

Communion was passed out to those people who wished to participate. The wine and the host were in a neat package together. This was new to me. After communion there was more singing, and then the service ended in prayer. Joe and I left feeling that we were fortunate to have participated in this service and would remember it always as something special.

The picture above is of a Hawaiian sunset. We did not get the opportunity to photograph a sunrise.

No comments: