I grew up in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, where it was a tradition in my family to get a new outfit for Easter. The outfit consisted of not only a dress, but sometimes included shoes, a purse, and a hat to match. Mother always made my Easter dress for me, just as she made all of my clothes, unless I got hand-me-downs from my cousins.
When I started my own family, I continued the "Wentworth" tradition by buying my children new outfits for Easter. I also started a "Troxler" tradition, which consisted of having a picture taken before we headed to church at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Paradis, LA.
Brett and Michele would bring a flower to put on the cross. This was something I remembered doing as a child, so I asked Daddy to make a cross for St. Andrew's. As far as I know, this cross is still being used at St. Andrew's today.
As the children grew older and money got tight, there were some Easter Sundays when they did not get new clothes for Easter; however, we continued taking our pictures before we went to church on Easter morning.
Thursday, April 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Isn't there one of me wearing a grey suit and holding a stuffed bunny?
I definitely remember that picture. No new clothes this year. I am poor!
Post a Comment