Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Thrill of the Hunt

Alone I sit on my deer stand
camouflage suit and gun.
It is the opening day of deer season,
and I am eager to see a deer run.

I am chilled to the bone and thinking of home;
the fireplace must be all ablaze.
When slowly and proudly a buck approaches,
and he appears to return my gaze.

I raise my Winchester and take careful aim
waiting for that perfect shot,
but the grace of the deer intrigues me
and the trigger I pull not.

What a wonderful specimen he is
with a full rack upon his head.
Once again I hoist my rifle
and this time I shoot with dread.

As I secure the buck to the hood of my Jeep,
mixed feelings rush through me.
the thrill of the hunt has gone away
I'm just not the hunter I used to be!

No comments: