Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Bracelet

Such a small package, wrapped in white paper and
adorned with a shiny red bow. Placed into my hand
on Christmas Eve by an unfamiliar face.

My fingers trembled as I opened
that final gift from my very first love.
Inside I discovered an exquisite gold bracelet
graced by tiger eye, lapis and carnelian scarabs.

As I wear the bracelet today
I sometimes remember
the pain and heartbreak
of my first broken heart.

Each individual stone represents
a different feeling beginning with tiger eye
for my broken heart, followed by melancholy Lapis
for my blue Christmas in 1967. Fiery Carnelian
signifies the anger that followed.

Jade stands for my immense growth
since that time more than 40 years ago
when I felt my life was over.

And last is rosy Epidot
for the true love I have found
and the happiness that we share together.

No comments: