Monday, February 4, 2008

Empty House

Thanks to everyone who submitted a title for this poem. I decided to go with "Empty House." My son, Brett, suggested this and I think it fits the poem perfectly.

This poem is untitled right now. I would appreciate ideas for a name if anyone has one. The poem came to me at night when I was trying to go to sleep. I got up right away and wrote down my ideas.

The day before Joe and I decorated our neighbor's mailbox. He came by to say "thank you" and to bring us a wooden reindeer he had in his attic. Most of the poem came from our conversation that day.

People say time will heal,
but I only feel despair.
I’m so terribly lonely.
I walk around without a care.

People really mean well.
They tell me to get a pet,
but they don’t really understand
how empty a house can get.

The Christmas season has come
but I won’t be celebrating this year.
I’m just not in the Christmas spirit.
I can’t find a bit of cheer.

We were married for such a long time.
You were my friend and lover.
When you passed away,
I felt my life was over.

I wake at night to my empty bed.
wishing you were here.
I cry myself back to sleep.
I miss you so much, my dear.

Lord, I apologize for being so weak.
I pray that I can become strong.
But so much as changed in my life
I ask myself, "what else can go wrong?"

How long will this continue?
When will I begin to feel relief?
God please send me an angel
to help me with my grief.

I pray for guidance with my future.
I need someone to show me the way
to find happiness and strength
to begin another day.

3 comments:

Brett said...

How about naming it... Empty House?

Meredith Liggio said...

possibility, I was thinking about Send Me an Angel

Unknown said...

LONELINESS